Thursday, February 07, 2013

1122

Someone sent me a message before saying that whenever he sees me around campus, he is reminded of what true friendship is.
I've been thinking about it, and lately, I've felt like I haven't been being a very good friend. Not to anyone in particular, but just in general.
I often forget how easy it is to be friends with someone without really being their friend.
How easy it is to say that you'll "hang out" without ever having the intention of actually doing so.
How easy it is to talk about school, parties, and work, but skim over all the things that are actually important.
How easy it is to spend so much time with someone and know practically nothing about them.
I often forget that friendship is something that needs to be practiced. Love, in any form, is something that needs to be learned over and over again, and it's something that needs constant attention.
Love is difficult.
But I also sometimes forget how easy it is.
That sometimes, being a friend is just asking.
It's destressing over sharing a Valentine's cookie.
It's a quick Skype call.
It's being brave enough to get past the small talk.
And what seems like a huge sacrifice of time and energy is really nothing compared to the opportunity to be a good friend.

2 comments: