Friday, August 02, 2013

1217

Things I wish I knew how to say to my family without sounding rude:

You always ask me the wrong questions about the ways that I am growing. I cannot tell you how the company I intern for makes a profit, but I can tell you the colours of my coworkers' eyes. I do not care whether I can make more money by going into finance rather than marketing, but I do care whether those around me feel and know that they are loved. I cannot tell you much about what I am learning about in school, but I can show you the poems I write in the margins of my notes. I am no good with numbers and figures, but I am a really good shoulder to cry on. I do not want to hear about how much you invested in your latest business venture, I want to hear about how much you invested in the people you care about. Tell me what it was like to hold your newborn baby for the first time. Tell me about the girl you love back at home.
These are the kinds of stories I want to hear. These are the kinds of stories I want to tell.

No comments: