Friday, April 13, 2012

961

So much tweaking has gone into this poem, and I can never be happy with it, even after I handed it in for my Creative Writing class. I just feel this constant need to edit it and make it better. But I guess that's how you know that something's close to your heart. Here's what I've got:

My Mother’s Room

My mother’s room is unpredictable
What lies beyond the door is beyond me
Sometimes I walk in to find a basket of fresh laundry
I always smell the clothing labels
“Hand-washed by Mama.”

Sometimes I walk in to find my mom praying
The Bible in her lap
Her eyes closed and hands folded,
Just like she taught me.
I like to think she’s thanking
But sometimes I wonder if she’s begging

Sometimes I see her drowning in her lungs
She breathes in
And they would be filled with things that are not
78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, 1% argon, 0.03% carbon dioxide
And what she breathes out
Is toxic
The kind of toxic that takes
And takes from you
In increments

Sometimes I peek through the crack to see her sleeping
The way a bear hibernates
To escape the cold
As if sleep and the realm of dreams
Will take her far away from here
And closer to where she needs to be.

No comments: