Tuesday, August 14, 2012

1065

Pictures and the Stories Behind Them:


















Lee-Ann and I have been talking about taking a road trip for so long, and we finally did it! This is the best I could do in a moving car, but look! It's Seattle!

























This is Felicia. I met her in 2008 during my first time in Taiwan. We've hung out together in Taiwan, Portland, Vancouver, and Hong Kong, so I was incredibly excited to see her in Seattle!! She is very beautiful, hilarious, and stylish (can you tell that she picked out my outfit?), and she is such a blessing to have in my life.  She says things like, "sketch ma-getch" and "broham," and has the instincts of a mother bear. Felicia was kind enough to let us stay at her place for the past 3 days, and take us around Seattle. The good times were endless.


















On our first night, Felicia took us to Molly Moon's Homemade Ice Cream Shop. It was probably around 8 or 9 at night, and there was still a huge line-up outside the store, which made sense, because it was some of the best ice cream I have ever had in my life! It was SUPER creamy, not TOO sweet, and they had unique flavours like salty caramel and earl gray. AND you can ask for half scoops, so you can get two flavours in one scoop, but they're basically two scoops! So legit!


















For Sunday morning brunch, we went to Portage Bay Cafe. The wait for a table was 45 minutes long, so I knew it had to be good. This is the Lemon Curd French Toast, and there was a topping bar so you could pile fresh fruits onto your food! EVERYTHING was SO delicious. The sweet food was super rich, and the savory food had such strong flavours. I would probably rank this on one of my Top 5 Meals I've ever had in my life (not that I actually have a top 5), because it was just that good.


















When we were walking back from Pike Place on Sunday afternoon (which is the only touristy thing we did, and it was for a very short amount of time because we got there as everything was closing up... sadly enough because I really wanted to see the market), we passed by the most adorable antique shop. I could have spent HOURS in there, because every shelf, wall, and room was lined with little trinkets like old-school cameras, vintage suitcases, posters from the 30's, antique furniture, and even things like can labels, toys, jewelry, and picture frames (with the pictures still inside, which I thought was a little weird to be selling) all ranging from the 20's to the 70's. Basically everything you can think of was there. Like there was even this old briefcase full of vintage postcards, and it was just so incredibly cool. I probably loved it so much, because there was SO much stuff in it that it reminded me of my room.

























On our last day, Felicia took us to The Elliot Bay Book Company. It was this quaint little book store that smelled like wood and fresh pages. All the shelves had little pieces of paper taped onto them with handwritten descriptions and reviews of certain books, which made the whole place seem that much more personalized. I picked up an $8 copy of To Kill A Mockingbird (my favourite book of all time!) and this beautiful book called Everything is its own reward by Paul Madonna. I actually found it in the Comics section, but it's more like a book filled with watercolour paintings and writing on them. The author describes himself as an artist that supports his writing by painting. It's mostly monochromatic, and even thought I'm usually drawn to brighter colours, it was so pretty that I fell in love with it right away and just had to have it.


















Across the street from the book store was this record and used CD shop called Everyday Music. We found some of the most ridiculous records there, and it was just incredibly fun to look around at all the different stuff they had there. It was crazy because even though it was a used CD shop, they had basically every artist that I was looking for. I bought 4 albums for just $25! Essentially, we spend the day doing a bunch of hipster things, and it was great.


















One of our last stops was Dick's Drive-In Restaurant. It was one of those places that hasn't changed very much since the 50's. They had greasy $2 burgers, classic milkshakes, and an old-fashion vibe to it. Felicia described it as, "what America ate before they realized what health was,' aha! It was gross in the best kind of way, and was a pretty sweet experience.

Overall, it was one of the best trips I've ever been on, and so much fun because we had our own agenda. I wish I could have stayed a little longer to explore the city and eat more good food!
But now, I have a friend to entertain while he's here from California, work, and then another retreat this coming weekend. Things are running non-stop for me, and it's kinda crazy, but it's also going to be so good.

No comments: